Animal rights group releases shocking footage from inside a pig abattoir as activists reveal their plan to target a weekend festival dedicated to BACON
- Animal Liberation Queensland release shocking vision of a Queensland abattoir
- The activist group said it will target Kingaroy’s BaconFest this weekend
- It said it will show abattoir images from across Queensland at the festival
- A confronting video shared by an animal rights activist group appears to show abattoir workers engaging in animal mistreatment in the pork industry.
- Animal Liberation Queensland (ALQ) released drone footage on Friday of what is alleged to be a large Queensland pig abattoir, which has been reported for animal cruelty since the vision was taken on June 8.
- The aerial vision shows workers allegedly hitting and kicking the pigs before one of the animals is slashed with a knife, causing it to spurt blood.
The release of the video comes as the annual BaconFest kicks off in a rural Queensland town.
Kingaroy is hosting BaconFest from August 19 to August 21 in what the festival organisers describe as a ‘three-day sizzling food festival in Queensland’s beautiful South Burnett celebrating the versatility of bacon and putting Australian pork on centre stage.’
Thousands of people are expected to attend the event in what is a usually quiet town but are set to be joined by some unwelcome guests in the form of activist protestors.
On Friday ALQ announced they would target the rural festival, driving mobile billboards through the town showing abattoir images from across Queensland.
ALQ’s campaign manager Amanda Holly told the Courier Mail she believed Australia’s pig farming industry is hidden behind a ‘veil of secrecy’.
‘By maintaining a legal, peaceful presence throughout Kingaroy this weekend, our activists aim to shine a light on industry practices that are considered ‘standard’ despite the appalling harm caused to animals, people, and the environment,’ Ms Holly said.
‘We flew drones above intensive factory farms located here, as well as in the Western Downs, Toowoomba, North Burnett, Fraser Coast, Scenic Rim and Goondiwindi regions.’
Organisers at BaconFest have been contacted by Daily Mail Australia for comment.