At an information demonstration against mass animal husbandry and milk production, a young woman addressed me: “Why can not we drink milk, the cows get children anyway and the calf in the yard of my neighbor has enough to drink”!
I immediately asked myself: did not we inform enough?
The media often report about it, the newspapers bring meanwhile once a week important documentations, the suffering of milk and farm animals is often known to the public… is this society really so stupid, or just uninformed?
That’s why I searched for very good and simple information about the production of milk.
It’s from PETA. Maybe some of you would also need this information for a demonstration, I definitely !!
- Cows’ milk isn’t for humans – it’s for calves. This one seems obvious to me now, but the dairy industry works hard to hide this connection from us. Cows, like humans, produce milk to nourish their babies. But on dairy farms, calves are torn away from their mothers when they’re just 1 day old so that farmers can sell the milk intended for them. This separation causes grief and anguish to both mother and calf.
- Male calves are often sold to the veal industry, subjected to violence, and slaughtered at just a few months old.
- Female calves are usually destined for the same fate as their mothers. They’re typically artificially inseminated year after year so that they keep producing milk for humans. This means their babies are torn away from them time and time again. Remember: mother cows love their babies; just as human mothers love theirs.
- Cows on today’s dairy farms typically produce 10 times more milk than they would need to feed a calf. As a result, they commonly suffer from painful udder inflammation, or mastitis, which leads to higher levels of pus and bacteria in their milk.
- Most cows used for their milk would naturally grow horns, but farmers remove the horn tissue using searing-hot irons, caustic chemicals, blades, or hand saws – sometimes without any anesthetics.
- When cows’ bodies are exhausted and they can no longer produce the high volumes of milk that farmers want, they’re sent to the abattoir.
- A cow’s natural life expectancy is around 20 years, but in the dairy industry, most cows are slaughtered when they’re only 4 or 5 years old.
- Because of their massive carbon emissions and the hundreds of thousands of tons of slurry produced as waste, dairy farms take a massive toll on the British countryside and the environment as a whole. Each cow raised by the dairy industry consumes up to 150 liters of water per day .
- Humans are the only species that drinks milk from another species and that drinks milk after infancy. And humans who drink cows’ milk have an increased risk of developing heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and many other ailments.
- We don’t have to accept this abuse. There are so many delicious non-dairy milks to enjoy – and no one has to suffer for them. Fortified plant-derived milks, such as soya and almond milk, provide calcium, vitamins, iron, zinc, and protein and don’t contain any cholesterol or saturated animal fat. You can choose a nutritious milk without supporting an industry that subjects cows to a living nightmare. Cows are sensitive animals who feel joy, pain, and fear, just like humans do, and mother cows are devoted to their young. Don’t contribute to their misery – switch to a delicious non-dairy milk today!
“You see a “Livestock” and a human being. I see two little children, who want to live. The Future ist Vegan!!
My best regards to all, Venus