17/12 – We have had the following in to us from SAFE, New Zealand.
They have achieved major wins legally for animals over the last few weeks; now it is time to ramp up the pressure even more and get the government to act.
Kia ora Mark
We achieved victory for mother pigs, now we need Government action
Today SAFE and the New Zealand Animal Law Association (NZALA) have published a full-page open letter in the New Zealand Herald, asking the Prime Minister to appoint a Commissioner for Animals.
Last month, the High Court found that the Minister of Agriculture and his advisors from the National Animal Welfare Advisory Committee (NAWAC) acted illegally when they failed to phase out farrowing crates and mating stalls for mother pigs.
Now that the Government has accepted the Court’s decision, it is time to take animal welfare seriously. We need you to add your voice to ensure this happens.
TAKE ACTION – Demand the government now has a commissioner for animals.
The High Court has ruled that the Minister of Agriculture and his advisors from the National Animal Welfare Advisory Committee (NAWAC) acted illegally when they failed to phase out farrowing crates and mating stalls for mother pigs.
The Court’s decision shows that NAWAC did not perform its legal duty well and was biased, consciously or unconsciously, towards industry interests. It also highlights that although New Zealand has some of the best animal welfare laws in the world, there are significant shortcomings with regulation and enforcement of the law.
The Government has accepted the Court’s decision, and we are now asking for some essential changes, starting with the appointment of a Commissioner for Animals.
A Commissioner for Animals should be appointed to oversee NAWAC, advocate for animals and ensure that NAWAC is accountable.
The Government must now take the Court’s decision seriously and show respect to animals and our animal welfare laws. With the appointment of a commissioner for Animals, New Zealand could once again be a world leader in animal welfare.
ACT NOW: Go to –
Demand a Commissioner for Animals
Write a polite email to Prime Minister Rt Hon Jacinda Ardern and Agriculture Minister Hon Damien O’Connor telling them why you want a Commissioner for Animals.
Key points you can make:
- Following the High Court’s decision on farrowing crates, it’s time for the Government to take animal welfare seriously and appoint a Commissioner for Animals.
- New Zealand needs a Commissioner for Animals to oversee NAWAC, advocate for animals and ensure that NAWAC is accountable.
- New Zealand has some of the best animal welfare laws in the world, however we need to ensure that these laws are properly enforced.
- If New Zealand wants to consider itself a world leader on animal welfare, then it’s clear that NAWAC needs oversight from an independent commissioner that reports directly to Parliament.
- NAWAC must undergo structural and cultural changes to be able to exercise its legal duty, starting with a Commissioner for Animals to oversee NAWAC and ensure the needs of animals are met.
Thanks – it time for action and demands to be met;